Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A crowd of artifacts.

I am enclosing the following video not because it is brilliant (it is not) but because I was standing there, between Sofia and the Blue Mosque, when I realized how utterly strange it was, to be able to stand in such a space. I live in New York so I'm no stranger to national landmarks but somehow the magnitude of these two buildings facing each other was larger than anything I've experienced before. I wanted to take a quick video because the 360 degree impact was lost in pictures. As you can see, it is also the apex of tourism but with such important sites, I can understand it. Plus, a cabdriver waves! Whee!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just got back from Turkey, and I found a building where I could get both the buildings in the same shot. In fact, the Blue seems to be looking over Sophia's shoulder.

Smart of you not to go in winter. It snowed on me, and of course I didn't pack for that. Not that i have snow clothes, living in El Lay.